Latest

Thursday, August 24, 2017

So.....I

Use "so ... I" in a positive sense to show that we feel the same way as another person, or have performed the same action. Use neither I to express negative sense.
I am meeting a friend tomorrow. - So am I.

                                       So + Auxiliary Verb + Subject


First of all we have to find the auxiliary of the original sentence. Then use it with So.............I format.
Auxiliary verbs- am, is, are, was, were, has, have, will, shall, would, should, do(simple present), did(simple past)

Example:
I am tired. -So am I.
I would love to visit India some day. - So would I.
I like this film. - So do I.
He flew to Qatar last summer. - Sodid she.


Tenses
Positive
Negative
Present simple:
use ‘do / does’
Lufa likes coffee.
So do I.
Lufa doesn’t like coffee.
Neither do I.
Present simple with ‘be’:
use ‘am / is / are’
Jizan is at the School.
 So am I.
Jizan isn’t at the office.
Neither am I.
Present continuous:
use ‘am / is / are’
RIsa is going to the cinema tonight.
 So am I.
RIsa is going to the cinema tonight.
Neither am I.
Past Simple:
use ‘did’
Priya went to the temple yesterday.
So did I.
Priya didn’t go to the temple yesterday. Neither did I.
Past simple with ‘be’:
use ‘was / were’
She was at the library.
So was I.
She wasn’t at the library.
Neither was I.
Present perfect:
use ‘have / has’
They’ve been to Iceland.
 So have I.
They haven’t been to Iceland.
Neither have I.
Future simple:
use ‘will’
Ehiya will be at the cafe later.
So will I.
Ehiya won’t be at the cafe later.
Neither will I.
Modal verbs:
repeat the modal verb
He would like a cup of tea.
So would I.
Printha can speak Hindi
So can I.
He wouldn’t like a cup of tea.
Neither would I.
Printha can’t speak Hindi.
Neither can I.



So..... .....  form with other pronoun
She’s got a happy face and so has he.
He doesn’t look very happy and neither does she.
They went on a trip and so has he
He's decided it's too difficult to complete. - So has Mr.Loyala.


Exercises


Underline the correct answer



1. 'I'm exhausted.'
1.       'So do I.'
2.       'So am I.'
3.       'Neither am I.'

2. -'I was late.'
1.       'So did I.'             
2.       'So was I.'
3.       'Neither did I.'

3. 'I didn't finish it.'
1.       'So was I.'
2.       'Neither was I.'
3.       'Neither did I.'

4. 'I didn't enjoy it.'
1.       'I did.'
2.       'Neither did I.'

5. 'I'd like a coffee, please.'
1.       'So do I.'
2.       'So had I.'
3.       'So would I.'

6. 'I want a ticket to Badulla’
1.       'So do I'
2.       'Neither do I.'

7. 'I'm staying in tonight.'
1.       'So will I.'
2.       'So am I.'

8. 'I was shocked.'
1.       'So was I.'
2.       'Neither was I.'
3.       'I was.'

9. 'I found it very hard.'
1.       'So do I.'
2.       'So did I.'
3.       'So would I.'

10  'I don't fancy it.'
1.       'So do I.'
2.       'I do.'
3.       ‘Neither do I’




Write the right answer. The first one is done for you.

1.       I've got a new car so have I
2.       I'm thirsty............................................................................             
3.       I've been to China.........................................             ...................      
4.       I enjoyed the meal.........................................           ...................
5.       I'm going to the theatre tonight........................................                  
6.       I was pleased to hear the news.........................................                 
7.       I've met the President Mr. Maithiri .....................................
8.       I saw him the other day..................................................... 
9.       I'm happy to hear the good news........................................
10.   I've got a lot of money......................................................                  
11.   I'll give him my answer tomorrow...................................                     
12.   I was very upset by the news.............................................                
13.   I'm thinking of resigning my job.......................................                    
14.   I heard the news yesterday.               .........................               .....................
15.   I've seen rainbow '............................................................                 
16.   I'm expecting a visitor.......................................................                  
17.   I feel tired.........................................................................                 
18.   I did my homework on Sunday........................................                    
19.   I've had enough of this exercise.......................................                   
20.   I'm going to stop.............................................................
 21.I'm learning how to build kites. - So .............. Kavi.
22. Firnas won't be on time for the meeting. – Neither..............Dinu.
23. I think he's an excellent choice. – So........................... I.
24. The teacher was planning his lesson at six o'clock. – So............. Miss. Savithiri.

2 comments:

  1. Great.. Tutorial is just awesome..It is really helpful for a newbie like me.. I am a regular follower of your blog. Really very informative post you shared here. Kindly keep blogging. as a hobby kids and parents like to play games on mobiles. but as a different kind of mobile os's we couldn't send our data though that smart phones. for to transfer backup data we can use samsung smart switch download app.

    ReplyDelete