Latest

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Conjunctions

Conjunctions are used to connect phrases, clauses, and sentences.


Coordinating conjunctions

And (மேலும்,கூட, மற்றும்,)
We are hungry and thirsty.- நமக்கு பசி மற்றும் தாகமாக உள்ளன.
The meal was very expensive and not very nice.
He asked us to clean our rooms and wash the dishes.
Ravi works as a teacher and Raasiya works as a nurse.
He drinks juice, soda and cordials.
............................................................................................................................................................................................
But (ஆனால்)
She's not a painter but a writer.- அவள் ஒரு ஓவியர் அல்ல ஆனால் ஒரு எழுத்தாளர்.
I wanted to ride my bike, but the tire was flat.
There are seats outside, but some people don’t like sitting outdoors.
She's very hard-working but not very imaginative.
............................................................................................................................................................................................
Or (அல்லது)
There were ten or twelve people in the room.- அறையில் பத்து அல்லது பன்னிரண்டு பேர் இருந்தனர்.
It can be black, white or grey.
You can have ice cream or chocolate.
Are you listening to me or not?
Which do you prefer? red or blue?
The child never smiles or laughs.
Turn the heat down or it'll burn.
It weighs a kilo, or just over two pounds.
He was lying—or was he?
............................................................................................................................................................................................

SO(அதனால்)
It was still painful so I went to see a doctor.- அது இன்னும் வலியாக இருந்தது, அதனால் நான் ஒரு மருத்துவரை பார்க்க சென்றார்.
Leave the keys out so that I remember to take them with me.
I’ve drunk six cups of coffee today, so I’ve got a headache.
She was late to work, so her boss made her stayed after five

Yet (மேலும்,இருந்த போதிலும்)
It's a small car, yet it's surprisingly spacious. - இது ஒரு சிறிய கார், ஆனாலும் அது வியக்கத்தக்க விசாலமானது.
He has a good job, and yet he never seems to have any money.
He’s overweight, yet he continues to eat lots of cakes and biscuits
He's overweight and bald, yet somehow, he's attractive.
               
Either / Either or
Either... or is used to offer a choice between two possibilities

Either Malini or Suresh will be there.- ஒன்று மாலினி அல்லது சுரேஷ் அங்கு இருப்ப்பார்கள்.
Either you leave me alone or I will call the police.
We should bring either coffee or tea.
You can either help us or go to your room.

Either we go by train or we rent a car. Which do you prefer?
Her paintings are in either bright colours or black and white.
Nine out of 29 students attended the class either regularly or occasionally.
Either of you should know.
Either one of us could do it.

Neither nor
Neither cats nor dogs are my favorite animals.-பூனைகள் நாய்கள் இரண்டுமே எனது விருப்பு மிருகங்கள் அல்ல.
Neither my mother nor my father went to university.
They speak neither Tamil nor Sinhala, but a strange mixture of the two.
I neither know nor care what happened to him.
This is a war which neither side can win.
He didn't neither deny the reports nor confirm them.
It's a silly situation - neither of them will talk to the other.
Neither of them is ready.
Neither of us has any money.

Both
Both Mehala and Jizan have red hair- மேகலா மற்றும் ஜிசான் இருவருக்கும்  சிவப்பு முடி.
He won gold medals from both the single and group races.
Both my parents are teachers.
I felt both happy and sad at the same time.
Improved childcare facilities would benefit both sexes, not just women.
I failed my driving test because I didn't keep both hands on the steering wheel.
 I loved both of them.
Both TV and television are correct words.
Would you like milk or sugar or both?

Not only ...but also..............
Today, it is not only hot but also delicious.- இன்று இது சூடாக மட்டுமல்ல சுவையாயகவும் கூட உள்ளது.
They need not only food but also shelter.
She not only wrote the text but also selected the illustrations.
My uncle not only brought me to the city but also found a good job for me.
She not only apologized but also sent me a card.
Not only did she apologize but (also) sent me a card.

Coordinating conjunctions
after
although
as
as if/ as though
as long as
because
before
even if/ even though
In spite of
once
since
though
till
unless
until
when
whenever
where
whereas
wherever
while
After
We’ll watch a movie after he arrives.- அவர் வந்த பிறகு நாம் ஒரு படம் பார்போம்.
After I drink coffee, my headache stops.
My headache stops after I drink coffee.
After we had talked on the phone, I wrote down what we had decided.
Soon after moving to London, she got a new job.
Although-இருந்தாலும்,இருப்பினும்
Although he is small, he is very strong. - அவன் சிறியவனாக இருந்தப்போதிலும், அவன் மிகவும் வலுவானவன்.
Ram went swimming although it was raining.
Although it was raining, Ram went swimming.
She walked home by herself, although she knew that it was dangerous.

She'll be coming tonight, although I don't know exactly when.
I felt he was wrong, although I didn't say so at the time.
He says he has the team shirt, although I’ve never seen him wear it.
The moon is largely responsible for our tides, although the sun also plays a small part.

As (like, because, while) -  போல,போது,ஏனெனில்
saw him as I was coming into the building. - நான் கட்டிடத்திட்குள்  வரும் போது  அவரை பார்த்தேன்.
The flames grew larger as the fire spread.
As it was getting late, I decided to book into a hotel.
You can go first as you're the oldest. நீங்கள் முதல் செல்ல முடியும் ஏன்னெனில் நிக்கல் முதியவர்
This year, as in previous years, tickets sold very quickly.
The town centre looks exactly as it did when it was built in 1600.

As if / As though- என்று இருந்தது போல
He behaved as if nothing had happened.- ஒன்றுமே நடக்காதது போல் அவர் நடந்து கொண்டார்.
It sounds as though you had a good time.
They stared at me as if I was crazy.
I felt as though I'd been lying in the sun for hours.

As long as
We'll go as long as the weather is good.- நாம் வானிலை நன்றாக உள்ளவரைக்கும்  தொடர்ந்து  செல்வோம்.
AS long as there is a demand for these drugs, drug smuggler should involve in this illegal business.

Becauseஏனெனில்
We did it because we felt it our duty.- நாங்கள் அதை செய்தோம் ஏனெனில் அதனை  எங்களுடைய கடமை என  உணர்ந்தோம்.
I did it because he told me to.
He hated being in the army because he had to obey commands.
Because breathing is something we do automatically, we rarely think about it.

Before - முன்பாக
Do it before you forget.- மறக்க முன் அதை செய்.
Put that away before it gets broken.
Did she leave a message before she went?
It was some time before I realized the truth.

Even if/ Even though - கூட
Even though he left school at 16, he managed to become prime minister. - அவர் 16 வயதில்  பாடசாலையை  விட்டாலும்  கூட, அவரால்   பிரதமர் ஆக முடிந்தது.
I'll get there, even if I have to walk.
I like her, even though she can be annoying at times.
Evolution is still a theory even though it is now taught in state schools as hard facts.

In spite of - இருந்தபோதும்
We enjoyed our camping holiday in spite of the rain.- நாங்கள் மழை நடுவிலும் நம் முகாம் விடுமுறை மகிழ்ந்தோம்.
In spite of his age, he still leads an active life.
They went swimming in spite of all the danger signs.

Once – as soon as, when
Once I've found somewhere to live I'll send you my address.- நான் வாழ எங்காவது இடம் கண்டதும் கண்டதும் உனக்கு எனது முகவரி அனுப்புவேன்
Remember that you won't be able to cancel the contract once you’ve signed.
You'll feel better once you've got some treatment.


Since- (இது வரை, ஏனெனில்)
She has suffered from depression since she was sixteen.- தன்னுடைய பதினாறாவது வயதிலிருந்தே அவள் மன அழுத்ததிற்கு உள்ளாகி இருக்கிறாள்.

Runi hasn’t phoned since she went to Vavuniya.
It’s twenty years since I've seen my English teacher.
I presume that they're not coming, since they haven't replied to the invitation.
Since we've got a few minutes to wait for the train, let's have a cup of coffee.

Though (என இருந்தாலும்,என்ற போதிலும்)
Amala was fond of Thulasi, though he often annoyed her.- அவன்  அடிக்கடி எரிச்சலைக் கொடுத்தது  இருப்பினும் அமலாவுக்கு  துளசியை  பிடிக்கும்.
Though she gave no sign, I was sure she had seen me.
I enjoyed her new book though it's not quite as good as her last one.
Initial reports say that seven people have died, though this has not yet been confirmed.
They're coming next week, though I don't know which day.

Till - வரை
I'll keep your bags till the train comes.- ரயில் வரும் வரை நான் உங்கள் பைகள் வைத்து கொள்கிறேன்.
Fry the onions till they start to colour.
I will wait till I hear from you.

Until - வரை
They played football until it got dark.- இருளாகும் வரை அவர்கள் கால்பந்து விளையாடினார்.
I’m not going out until you've finished this.
I won't start cooking until you come home.
You don’t know what you can achieve until you try
Let's wait until the rain stops.

Unless (என்றில்லாமல்,இல்லாவிடில்)
We can't do it unless you pay us more. - நீங்கள் இன்னும் அதிகமாக எங்களுக்கு  செலுத்தாவிடில் நாம் அதை செய்ய முடியாது.
You'll be sick unless you stop eating.
Unless I'm mistaken, she was back at work yesterday.
Unless something unexpected happens, I'll see you tomorrow.
Unless you study diligently, you'll never understand trigonometry.

When- போது
I loved maths when I was at school.- நான் பாடசாலையில்  இருந்த போது கணிதத்தை  நேசித்தேன்.
We were eating when he called.
I found my lost key when I was cleaning out the cupboards.
Call me when you’ve finished.
She shouts at the children when they play cricket in the street.

Whenever - போதெல்லாம்
You can ask for help whenever you need it.- உங்களுக்கு உதவி  தேவைப்படும்போதெல்லாம் உதவி கேட்கலாம்.
Whenever she comes, she brings some gifts.
The roof leaks whenever it rains.
We try to help whenever possible.

Where
She lived in Ampalangoda  for a couple of years, where she taught English. - அவள் அம்பாலங்கோடையில் இரண்டு வருடம் வாழ்ந்தாள்.அங்கு ஆங்கிலம் கற்பித்தாள்.
This is where I live.
Sit where I can see you.



Whereas (அப்படியிருக்க /அதேசமயம்)
 Your hair has a natural wave whereas mine's just straight .- உங்கள் முடி ஒரு இயற்கை அலையாக  உள்ள அதேசமயம் என்னுடைய து  நேராக  உள்ளது.
He must be about 60, whereas his wife looks about 30.
You eat a full  plate of food for lunch, whereas I have just a sandwich.
In the UK the hottest month of the year is usually July, whereas in Asia the hottest period is usually in August.'


Wherever - எங்கெல்லாம்
Sit wherever you like.- நீங்கள் விரும்பினால் எங்கும்  உட்கார்.
Wherever actress Thamanna goes, there are crowds of people waiting to see her.
The salesman has to go wherever his job takes him.
You can go swimming while I'm having lunch.

While (அதே நேரம்,சற்று நேரம்)
Her parents died while she was studying at school.- அவள் பள்ளியில் படிக்கும் போது அவள் பெற்றோர் இறந்தனர்.
While I was waiting at the bus stop, three buses went by in the opposite direction.
While he was talking, his baby slept.
Activity

Choose the conjunction that best completes each sentence.
1.  Mary  ____ her friend Amali rode their bikes to school.
a.  and b.  so c.  or d.  but
2.  Riyan forgot his teel box  at school, ___ he couldn’t do his homework.
a.  and b.  so c.  or  d.  but
3.  The school bus driver wanted to turn right, ____ had to turn left instead.
a.  and b.  so c.  or d.  but
4.  The teacher wanted the students to do both math ____ science homework.
a.  and b.  so c.  or d.  but
5.  Would you rather work on math ___ science first?
a.  and b.  so c.  or d.  but
6.  Mani let his friends play with his bike, ____ not his basketball.
a.  and b.  so c.  or d.  but

Write correct conjunction
1.       I'll call you ………….. I've spoken to them.
2.       They decide…………….. they collect necessary information.
3.       Several years …………… they'd split up they met again by chance.
4.       We enjoyed our camping holiday ......................... it rained every day.
5.       ..........................................he worked very hard, he didn’t manage to pass the exam.
6.       The flames grew larger .................................the fire spread.
7.       Everyone cheered .................................the winners received their medals.
8.       I asked the teacher if I could be excused from football practice ................................. my knee still hurt.
9.       My grandmother died a natural death , ............................she would have wanted.
10.   Just........................................ I was sitting down to watch TV, the phone rang.
11.   Patients were discharged from hospital .............................. the beds were needed by other people.
12.   ................................ I made a decision, I thought carefully about it.
13.   ......................................... the injury was serious, she decided to carry on playing. It was an important match.
14.   ............................. I've cleaned it and polished it, it still doesn't look new.
15.   I've been very busy .......................... I came back from holiday.
16.   Mike has been promoted twice .................................. he joined the company.
17.   We’ve made a lot of new friends...................................... we came to live in Jaffna.
18.   I think I’ll stay home and watch a film......................................it’s raining.
19.   ................................ he's almost 40, she still plans to compete.
20.   Pascal went ahead with the experiment .......................................... he knew it was dangerous.
21.   I'll stay here................................. you come back.
22.   We have to wait......................... he arrives.
23.   I'm not leaving........................ you apologise.
24.   You'll have to wait ...................... your next birthday for a new bike.
25.   I will be there......................... you decide to do it yourself. 
26.   ........................ it rains tomorrow, we will go for sure.
27.   We'll go .........................you're ready.
28.   There was silence in the room ...............................she finished her presentation.
29.   Borrow it ................................ you want to.
30.   He goes to the theatre............................... he can.
31.   Come and see us, .................................... you're in town
32.   ............................. I go there, they seem to be in bed.
33.   He works slowly and precisely ...................................I tend to rush things and make mistakes.
34.   Soldiers must go ................................ the army assigns them.
35.   I’ll prepare breakfast......................... you’re having a shower.
36.   ................................I was reading the newspaper, my mother was ironing my shirts.
37.   She is ................................. rich .............................. generous.
38.   They .................................. hit ......................kill some people.
39.   In ........................... of his injury, Ricardo will play in Saturday's match.
40.   He was very fast .......................... of being overweight.

Select the correct conjunction and fill in the blanks.

1. __________ my sister and I have blue eyes, but my brother's are brown.
a) Either
b) Neither
c) Both
d) Either of

2. __________ she leaves or not. I can't live with her anymore.
a) Either
b) Neither
c) Both
d) Neither of

3. He's very healthy. He __________ alcohol nor smokes.
a) either drinks
b) neither drinks
c) both drinks
d) both doesn't drink

4. __________ the cinemas are showing in the new G.K cinema theatre.
a) Both of
b) Both
c) Neither of
d) all of the above

5. __________ the hotels in the village have rooms tonight. We'll have to drive to the next
town.
a) Both of
b) Neither of
c) Either of
d) Neither

6. I have two bosses at work and I don't like _________ them.
a) both of
b) neither of
c) either of

d) none of the above

3 comments:

  1. Great.. Tutorial is just awesome..It is really helpful for a newbie like me.. I am a regular follower of your blog. Really very informative post you shared here. Kindly keep blogging. as a hobby kids and parents like to play games on mobiles. but as a different kind of mobile os's we couldn't send our data though that smart phones. for to transfer backup data we can use smart switch download app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great.. Tutorial is just awesome..It is really helpful for a newbie like me.. I am a regular follower of your blog. Really very informative post you shared here. Kindly keep blogging. as a hobby kids and parents like to play games on mobiles. but as a different kind of mobile os's we couldn't send our data though that smart phones. for to transfer backup data we can use smart switch pc app.

    ReplyDelete